7 Questions with Gordon VoidwellDOUBLE FEATURE
Nomenclature has been a huge theme in the life of Will Johnson, Bronx native also known as Gordon Voidwell
Gordon was Will’s middle name (after his absent father) but at the age of ten changed it to Shawn (which his mother originally wanted). In his adult years, he reclaimed the name Gordon after reuniting with his father who was once a jazz guitarist in the ’70s and ’80s.
Often compared to the likes of Prince and George Clinton, Voidwell’s sound is meant to be experimental and undefinable. But those who know what’s up hear his references – funk, boogie, pop, R&B. In short, music that you can feel if you’re alive.
Catch Voidwell at our DOUBLE FEATURE, and be sure to check back in a few days for a Gordon Voidwell remix – Sabzi laces the track with some newness! Stay tuned.
1. What’s the last movie you watched? High Fidelity (2000)
2. A short review? Couple of white dude music snobs being super heteronormative in their approach to “love” and life. In fairness, they play some good music. In the end, they all go onto create Pitchfork Media.
3. What did you think the year 2010 was going to be like 20 years ago? Never envisioned it. As a buddhist nihilist, I think of nothing beyond the present moment.
4. How did you meet Blue Scholars? J-Date…
5. Describe your stage performance in three words. THIS SHIT KNOCKS!
6. If you had to pick a film genre to classify your music, what would it be? Feminist Porn.
7. Protagonist or Antagonist? more like pro-choice or pro-life?